That was quick

So last week I launched an update and fix of this website. Now I needed to update my app blog website too and didn’t think that Gatsby was going to be the solution. So I looked at other static site generators. I found Hexo which is fast and also has … themes. Gatsby is just now experimenting with themes and trying modify an existing Gatsby starter design was not that much fun.

It actually took one afternoon to change my old product blog to the new Hexo site. And the conversion to this site which is also done with Hexo has gone really fast. All I had to do was put the old Markdown files in the _posts folder and build the site. There were a few changes to the config file and the banner graphic. And here it is. Looks a bit like the older blog because it now has the picture of the Carquinez Strait at the top.

Read More

Sheet Music Displays

I recently had an inquiry about creating an app to transpose and then display a MusicXML file on a mobile. The client was interested in it using the Open Sheet Music Display library which is a JavaScript library created using TypeScript.
http://opensheetmusicdisplay.org

Since I have a background in music composition and arranging the music part was trivial. I found MusicXML fairly straightforward too so the transposition part was easy.

Read More

Updating Part Two

If you were able to read last year’s post about updating this blog then you were lucky. I mentioned before that this site was unreachable for awhile do to a DNS mixup. Seems it happened again. So this time I decided to drop the old static site generator, Hugo, and am trying Gatsby. For one thing Hugo use Go as a language and I was not that familiar with it. Gatsby uses Javascript which I am familiar with. So here is the site in Gatsby.

Cross Platform Update: I finally did get a MacBook Air a little over a year ago and have been publishing iOS apps. Also planned is a Mac app too since there are very few in that app genre. This will also be the basis of another cross platform app with a different layout. The current Xamarin project has two sets of code: one for portrait (phones) and one for tablets and desktop in landscape.

Read More

Fun Updating the Site

My previous posts were done with a much older version version of Hugo the static site generator. In fact the version was 0.14. Hugo is now at version 0.42.2. The problem I learned was Hugo does not really maintain a Wiki with migration instructions. Turns out there wasn’t a lot to fix but those fixes weren’t that well documented.

Don’t get me wrong, Hugo is a fine tool for creating websites. A lot of hard work and fine effort has been put into it. But when I read the comments in the forum there are often unresolved problems. Currently over on the right in the sidebar you should be seeing a list of recent posts. But due to a change they aren’t there. It’s not exactly clear why they aren’t. And one thing we really don’t want to be doing is going back and editing old posts to make them work with a newer version of Hugo.

Read More